Charcoal Workshop Supplies
Self Portrait in charcoal on paper, heightened with white chalk. 26x18"
1. 5 sheets of toned Mi-Teintes Canson paper (Buff, Oyster, Pearl, Moonstone, Cream, or any other off whites/greys)
2. 1 stick jumbo charcoal (Please make sure that it is vine and not compressed charcoal instead)
3. 1 kneaded eraser
4. vine charcoal in soft, medium, and hard
5. white chalk
6. conte crayons (white and black)
7. conte pencils (white and black)
8. generals charcoal pencils, HB, Medium, Hard, Soft
9. Charcoal Spray Fixative, Krylon Matte
11. tape or metal bulldog clips to attack paper to drawing boards
12. masking tape or Bulldog clips, for securing paper to board.
13. A drawing board that is larger than your paper.
Online Zoom Class, March 20-21, 2021. 10-4 pm each day.
The charm of charcoal drawing lies in both its simplicity and its very forgiving nature. Come delve into the pyschology of the drafstman, the linework, and the strategy towards "letting go" and giving your hand the permission to execute what the brain wants without any fumbling. Here we leave behind the stomp and work with a variety of brushes, charcoal points and white chalk.
In this two day workshop Teresa will talk about and demonstrate her approach to drawing the human portrait in charcoal. A limited supply list will be used, the list and more instructions will become available after registration. Simple paper and vine charcoal will mostly do the trick. You likely will already have all the materials at home already. However if you would like to explore further with inks and line widths, I will be encouraging you to try a variety of charcoals and chalks. Tools I will be demonstrating with will be vine charcoal, white chalk, compressed charcoal penci and clean brushes dedicated to smudging and manipulatin charcoal. Canson Mi-teintes will be the kind of the paper that I will be using.
Requirements- Some kind of computer, laptop, tablet or any other device on which you can access the internet. A digital camera (smart phone will also do). Class will he held on Zoom.com, which you will need to register on first (it's free). Before class begins you will be emailed with an invitation link and password that you will need to join. It is also necessary to have speakers and a webcam on your device, as the lessons will be live and spoken word will be the main vehicle of communication. Video demonstrations and some text will also be included, and you will have the option to type in questions a well as speak. Class will be held in "real time", live, with Teresa presenting to a live audience of students who may take turns asking questions and speaking. A class monitor will also be present to help with the running of things. Supply lists and more detailed instructions will be emailed out after you complete your registration.